Apple is anticipated to reveal its iPhone 15 lineup on Tuesday during the company’s annual September keynote event. This event, themed with “wonderlust,” will be held at Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino, California, and will be available for live streaming on their website, starting at 10 a.m. local time.
While the yearly iPhone event has followed a predictable pattern, showcasing incremental improvements in battery life, camera systems, and displays, this year might mark a significant change as Apple is expected to introduce USB-C charging for its smartphones for the first time. This shift could potentially simplify the charging process across different devices and brands.
However, Apple will need to offer more than just a new charging system to entice users to upgrade. Recent sales data shows a decline in Apple’s sales for the third consecutive quarter, with iPhone revenue at approximately $39.7 billion for the quarter, reflecting a 2% year-over-year decrease.
Here’s a closer look at what to anticipate:
1. Significant Charging Change: Apple is contemplating switching its iPhones to USB-C charging, aligning with the European Union’s mandate to adopt USB-C charging for smartphones and other small devices by 2024. This move aims to reduce the number of chargers and cables consumers need to deal with, promoting compatibility across various devices and manufacturers.
2. Other iPhone 15 Features: The entire iPhone 15 lineup is rumored to feature the “Dynamic Island” function, a replacement for the screen’s notch, which provides an interactive space for alerts, notifications, and controls. The higher-end iPhone 15 Pro models may also receive new features like a rear-facing periscope lens for enhanced optical zoom, a lighter and thinner titanium casing, and Apple’s latest A17 chip with 3-nanometer technology for improved performance and battery life. New colors are also expected.
3. Vision Pro Update: Apple previously introduced the Vision Pro, a mixed reality headset blending virtual reality and augmented reality. Analysts anticipate Apple to provide updates or deeper collaborations ahead of its 2024 launch, possibly announcing a launch date.
4. New AirPods, Apple Watches, and Software: The event may also introduce the Apple Watch Series 9 and the next-generation Ultra 2 smartwatch. New AirPods with a USB-C-compatible charging case are expected. Additionally, Apple may announce release dates for its next-generation operating systems across various devices.
5. What Not to Expect: Analysts do not anticipate new iPad or Mac computer releases until October, and Apple is unlikely to unveil a foldable device, similar to competitors like Samsung and Google, during this fall event.
In summary, Apple’s annual September event is expected to bring significant changes to the iPhone, particularly with the introduction of USB-C charging, along with updates to other product lines and software releases.